Food department established during world war II in Indo -Pak subcontinent. Initially, the department was named as “Civil Supplies”. Its main responsibility was to acquire essential resources such as rice, sugar and wheat, specifically those commodities which are short in stock. The department restocks it and distributes it to the general consumers through rationing.
The “Civil Supplies” department was upgraded in 1970. It was converted into a full-fledged department and was renamed as “Food Department”. It was converted into an independent functional department at functional and provisional level.
The consequences of the establishment of food department were progressive. The availability position of sugar and rice significantly improved. Wheat was the only concern to be addressed. In October 1999, the food department was further upgraded to be separate administrative department with more authorities.
The food department is headed by Secretary food and attached to food directorate Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Food Department consists of 1414 staff members, including 246 executives and other employees. Food department is organized on two different levels. Departmental and District level. The divisional offices work under the supervision of Assistant Director Food (BS-17), whereas the District offices are controlled by the Field Office at District Level.